Study in Australia under new policy (SSVF)

On 16 June 2015, the Australian Government released the Future directions for streamlined visa processing report and announced the introduction of a simplified student visa framework (SSVF) to support Australia’s education service sector. Subject to the regulatory change process, it has been implemented by mid-2016.
Key changes under the SSVF are >> a reduction in the number of student visa sub-classes from eight to two, and >> the introduction of a simplified single immigration risk framework for all international students.
Reason for Change
The changes are designed to make the student visa framework simpler to navigate for genuine students, deliver a more targeted approach to immigration integrity and create a level playing field for all education providers.
Applying for a student visa under the SSVF The SSVF is intended to replace the past streamlined visa processing and AL framework arrangements. Under the SSVF, the combined immigration risk outcomes of the student’s education provider and country of citizenship will be used to guide the level of documentation relating to financial capacity and English language proficiency that the student would need to provide with their student visa application. Additionally, students would no longer apply for a specific student visa subclass applicable to their level of study, for example, subclass 573 for Higher Education. Rather, it is intended that there will be only one student visa subclass for which all prospective students will apply.
Financial and English language documentary requirements when applying for a student visa under the SSVF It is intended that students will be able to identify what documents they will be required to provide with their visa application by entering their intended education provider and country of citizenship into an online tool. The level of documentary evidence required about financial and English language capacity will be guided by the combined immigration risk of the prospective student’s education provider and country of citizenship. Generally, students enrolled at an education provider with the lowest immigration risk outcomes will have lower evidentiary requirements, regardless of their nationality. Students enrolled at an education provider with the highest immigration risk outcomes will have access to reduced evidentiary requirements if they are from a country with the lowest immigration risk.
Impact of the SSVF on eligibility for the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) or other types of visa The eligibility criteria for the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa will not change.


1. Why should I study in Australia?
Australia invests billions of dollars into education each year. So our universities and education institutions offer world-class facilities and educators. Your Australian qualifications will be globally recognized and respected. Study in Australia offers much more than just a premium education. You will enjoy many different lifestyle choices, a high standard of living and great value for money. Our rich multicultural community means you will meet many different people from different cultures. When you study in Australia you will develop a broad outlook, excellent life experience, maturity and independence. All qualities that is highly sought-after in the global employment market. Over 600,000 international students across 140 countries choose to study in Australia each year. Recent surveys conducted by Studies in Australia indicate four main reasons why international students choose to study in Australia:
•             Globally recognized courses and institutions
•             Lively and multicultural lifestyle
•             Reasonable study costs
•             Beautiful weather and landscapes

2. Are Australian qualifications recognized overseas?
Australian qualifications are highly respected internationally and are distinguished by the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). The AQF is our national system of learning that is recognized by many overseas countries.

3. What are Australian university semester dates?
Generally Australian universities have two semesters. The first is from February to June and the second from July to November. This can vary somewhat between universities.

4. How can I study in Australia? What is the enrolment process?

Application and enrolment procedures vary for each institution, so it’s best to contact the authorized agent directly to learn more about specific application requirements. Once you have found a course, you can contact the provider directly by submitting an enquiry through our website.

5.  Is IELTS mandatory for all level of education at Australia?

Yes, IELTS is mandatory for all level of education in Australia.

6. Do international students from English-speaking countries need to provide proof of English language proficiency?

Not all students must provide proof of English language proficiency. Australian Agency can advise as to whether you are exempt from this requirement.

7. What are the minimum qualifications and requirements to study in Australia?

Each institution will have its own minimum English language and academic requirements. Useful links:
•            Qualification recognition for vocational courses
•             Qualification recognition for undergraduate courses
•             International Baccalaureate to ATAR table
•             Qualification recognition for postgraduate courses

8. How much will it cost to study in Australia?
Tuition fees will vary depending on the course and institution Useful links:
•             Study costs in Australia
•             Living costs in Australia

9.  Are scholarships available to international students who study in Australia?
Yes. Most scholarships however, are offered for postgraduate study in universities. The majorities of international students in Australia are full-fee paying students and are not awarded scholarships.

10. Which banks are providing financial documents for Australia?

Nabil and SBI Nepal are providing financial documents for Australia.

11. Are student loans available to international students who study in Australia?


12. How can I apply for an Australian student visa? What requirements do I need to meet?

The student visas section on our website will help you understand the requirements needed to gain a student visa. It also identifies the costs associated with applying. In most cases, you can apply for a student visa using either a letter of offer or a Confirmation of Enrolment (Coe) from your institution. The application process can be completed online.

13. Is there any requirements/eligibility for student visas?

Yes, in order to get a student visa, you will have to meet a set of requirements as put forward by the Immigration and Border Protection assesses. The eligibility criteria changes depending on the visa sub-class that you are applying for like Independent ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students), Schools, Vocational Education and Training, Higher Education, Master’s and Doctorate, and others). These are a few of the basic requirements:
•             You should be able to cover the expenses of airfares to Australia, accommodation charges, tuition fee and other living expenses.
•             You should have passed an English language proficiency test like IELTS, TOEFL, CAE or PTE.
•             You should be able to provide complete documentation of your academic record, relevant to the course you are applying for.
•             Has your visa application to Australia or another country been declined in the past? You should have all the required documentation about past immigration history.
•             You should pass all the health and character requirements. A declaration will need to be attached to the application form.
•             You should have obtained OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover) before applying for a visa.

14. How important is the Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) to the visa application process?
It is important to receive a COE from your chosen Australian university’s Bachelor, Masters or higher level programs. The visa application process will most likely be quicker and more streamlined with a COE. However, keep in mind that the final decision to approve a visa rests with the DIAC, and a COE does not guarantee a decision in the students favor.

15. Am I required to undergo a medical examination or chest X-Ray?

All applicants for a visa to Australia must meet the health requirement. Whether you are required to undergo a medical examination and/or chest x-ray depends on your age, how long you intend to stay in Australia and your intended activity in Australia.

16. Where can I get my medical examination or chest X-Ray done?

The medical examination must be undertaken by a Panel Doctor nominated by the Australian High Commission.

17. What documents are required with a visa application?

The documents required with a visa application are specific to the visa category under which you wish to apply. You may also visit the website of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection for further information on document requirements. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that an application is complete and accompanied by relevant documents and information. An incomplete application form and/or the absence of required or relevant information and documents may result in delays in processing or in the application being refused.

18. Who decides if I will get a visa?

The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection assesses and decides all visa applications.

19. How much is the visa application fee?

Students who choose to fill the e-visa application form will have to pay an application fee of AUD 550 and bank charges for single while in the case of dependent it is AUD 960 and bank charges.

20. Do I have to complete my studies within a certain time frame?

Yes. Your student visa specifies an expected duration in which you will study in Australia. You must complete your studies within this duration.

21. What if I finish my studies early?
You must leave Australia within 28 working days. If you wish to extend your stay in Australia you must gain approval from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).

22. Can I change my program of study after I have arrived in Australia?
Yes. You will need to get necessary permission from your university. If you change qualifications you may also need to submit a new student visa application.

23. What happens if my application to study in Australia is unsuccessful?
Unsuccessful applications are often due to entry requirements not being met. Australian Agency will help you meet these requirements and advise you on other available study options in your chosen field.

24. What do you do after reaching Australia?
Once your visa is approved, you will be starting a new journey into a beautiful country! Upon arrival in Australia, ensure that you contact the High Commission or Consulate with relevant information like your contact details, name and details of the university and course you will be studying as well as how long you intend to stay in the country.

25. Can I convert my tourist or business class visa to a student visa while I am in Australia?
From 1st July 2016 most people in Australia on tourist or business class visas will be able to convert to a student visa while in Australia. You can use the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s (DIBP) Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system to confirm whether you are eligible for onshore visa applications.

26. What is a ' full time program of study'?
International students on a student visa are required to maintain a full time enrolment at all times to ensure their degree is completed in the minimum time. With the exception of a small number of courses, the full time enrolment is 100 credits. Students who fail to maintain a full time enrolment will be in breach of their student visa conditions. In some circumstances, students may be permitted to enroll in a study load of less than 100 credits in any semester/trimester. A ‘Request to Enroll in less than 100 Credits in the Current Semester‘ form must be completed and approved each semester/trimester where an international student does not intend to enroll in full-time study. Students that reduce their study load may not complete their course within the expected course or visa duration and may need to apply for another student visa. Students that have no formal approval to reduce their study load may have their request for a Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE) document declined. An eCOE is required for further student visa application.

27. Can I renew my student visa in Australia?
While students are currently enrolled in full-time study, they may renew their student visa in Australia as long as their current student visa is not subject to Condition 8534 ‘no further stay’. It is recommended that steps are taken to renew a student visa approximately one month before the existing student visa expires. 28. What do I do if my application for renewing my student visa is unsucceful?
If a student applies for a student visa in Australia and they are refused, they may apply for a review of the decision. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) will notify the student of their review rights in writing and time limits for lodging such an appeal. Please note: There are no review rights for decisions to refuse a student visa where the application is made outside Australia.

29. What supporting documents do I need to submit to DIBP when renewing my student Visa?
The supporting documents required vary according to visa subclass and country assessment level. Students are required to bring supportive documentation to their appointment with DIBP. If a student is unable to submit the required documentation at the appointment, on approval from DIBP, they may be permitted a short duration to produce this documentation for it to be considered for the student visa application.

30. Can I apply for a leave for absence?
International students on student visas may be permitted to take a formal Leave of Absence for limited circumstances for one semester (up to 6 months). Students can seek approval where they can demonstrate compassionate or compelling circumstances have impacted on their course progress or wellbeing. In these circumstances, international students may be permitted to suspend their studies and avoid visa cancellation. Students must contact the Student Advisors – International Student Visas for further advice regarding their circumstances and how taking leave will affect their student visa. If a break in study is intended and students do not meet the grounds for formal Leave of Absence, then students are required to withdraw from their course/program and apply for re-admission. This will lead to student visa cancellation and students will be required to apply for a new student visa once they are ready to re-commence studies. The University is obligated to notify the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) of any changes in enrolment of all international students on student visas. Students must contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) to determine their eligibility to remain in Australia. The University is obligated to notify DIBP of all international students who are not enrolled in the current study period. Generally no. If students wish to remain in Australia they must contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) to seek advice and determine their eligibility for another visa type in order to remain lawfully in Australia. The University is obligated to notify DIBP of the early course completion of all international students.

31. Can I apply for tourist/visitors after completing my program?
Students must contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) to determine their eligibility for a tourist/visitor visa.

32. Can I work in Australia while I am studying?
If your student visa was granted after 26th April 2008, you already have permission to work 40hrs fortnight. The spouses of Masters and PhD students can work unlimited hours. Any students granted visas before that date had to submit a separate application for permission to work to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

33. Can my dependents work while I am studying in Australia?
Any non-school age dependants who have travelled with you to Australia are permitted to work up to 40 hours per fortnight once you have commenced your studies. If you are enrolled in a Masters by coursework, Masters by research or Doctoral degree or are an Australian Award or Australian Defense Department sponsored student, your dependants have no work restrictions and may work unlimited hours.

34. Can I apply for Australian citizenship after completing my studies?
You may want to extend your stay in Australia for further study, graduation, a holiday, work or migration. You may be able to obtain a new visa to enable you to stay on and even work towards permanent residence and citizenship if you are eligible, provided you do not have a ‘No Further Stay’ condition on your current student visa.

35. Do I need a tax file number if I study in Australia?
Australian Agency recommends that you get an Australian tax file number (TFN). You will need this for banking and tax purposes if you work during study. Every Australian Post Office will have an application form available. Or you can apply online. 36. What support services are available for international students who study in Australia?
Australian Agency offers a wide variety of services to support international students. Our services cover both your study and life experiences in Australia. The Student Club will connect you with other students and great activities in your Australian city.

37. What can I do in my spare time?
Australia offers many different lifestyle and activity choices. These vary depending on your choice of university and community. Both your campus and community will have lots of extra curricula activities on offer. These include music, drama, sports and outdoors activities. Australian Agency can also help you with all travel arrangements to see more of Australia during your down-time.

38. What is the weather like in Australia?
Australia is diverse in its geography and climate. Our country is located in the southern hemisphere. This means Australia's summer starts in December and winter begins in June. Nearly a third of Australia is in the tropics where the average temperatures are in the mid 20 degrees Celsius. The southern areas are in a temperate zone.

39. How can I obtain more information on Australian Government regulations relating to international students?
The Australian Government’s legal requirements of education providers and international students are contained in two key documents:
•             The Education Services for Overseas Student (ESOS) Act 2000
•             The National Code of Practice. The Australian Agency represents only top quality nationally accredited institutions. So you can be sure your qualifications will be highly regarded wherever you choose to establish your career.